Eastern Cape Education: Greening
The Greening of the Nation Programme is a DEA-funded programme implemented by SANBI in seven provinces since 2005 and forms part of government’s Expanded Public Works Programme. The current project in Qaukeni, in Lusikisiki, was initiated in 2008 and will be finalized in 2012.
Aims of the programme
- Create jobs for the local community and provide accredited training to the workers.
- Landscape and plant indigenous and vegetable gardens in ten schools in the area.
- Develop an educational and conservation nursery that will also act as a research centre and production point to support future greening projects in the Eastern Cape.
- Landscape and green the cultural home and the cultural village being built in Qaukeni.
- Green the selected royal grave yard to be identified by the Qaukeni Regional Authority.
- Work in close partnership with the O.R. Tambo District Municipality and the respective local municipality IDPs.
Achievements to date
- Indigenous gardens completed in five schools.
- Vegetable gardens completed in nine schools.
- Greening of the cultural home completed.
- The nursery is completed.
Email Mongezi Langa